Skip to main content

A Dream Realized - In Remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King

Today is the day we remember a man so great that 40+ years after his death his legacy lives on in a way so tangible that everyone can feel it.

As I sit here at work, and listen to my Jewish boss listen to Mahalia Jackson belt away some old negro spiritual, it is not lost on me the impact that Dr. Martin Luther King had on the world.

My boss, an Argentinian Jew who admittedly had never laid eyes on a black person until he reached America well after his 21st birthday, can feel the depth of what Dr. King has done not only for this country but for the world. Often times, we as people, only look at the impact that has been made on us. That's a normal thing seeing as how it's always easier to get the full weight of something as it relates to you. But on this day I am reminded of all the lives Dr. King made a difference in. All the possibilities he made realities. All the sacrifices that he made in the name of equality. In the name of you and me.

Read More...


It makes me wonder: What have I done that I can be proud of? What kind of legacy will I leave? I know that today isn't just about me and my aspirations. But in a way it actually is. Because of the work of Dr. King, my dreams and aspirations are now limitless*. He is one of the reasons why I have so many dreams, sometimes I don't know where to start.

He is the reason why we know dreaming is not only okay but encouraged. He is the reason we know to dream BIG. Just over 40 years ago Dr. King was dreaming*, and contrary to some pessimists beliefs, that part of his dream is realized. It is no longer the "white man" that holds us back. It is only ourselves.

So now, I have a dream. I have a dream that Dr. King's life and sacrifices will not be in vain. That we as a people, will respect the time and effort that Dr. King, and countless others put in so that we are able to live the lives we live today. I have a dream that we will stop hurting one another and instead uplift. I have a dream that we stop seeing what we can't do and open our eyes to what we can. I have a dream that we will dream even bigger than Dr. King did. I have a dream that we not only make Dr. King proud, but ourselves as well.

What is your dream?



*Ever heard of a guy named President Barack Obama?

*Check out the text and the actual speech below.

King Speech

King Speech Text

Comments

Anonymous said…
My dream is that very soon Onedia White shall be blogging Ms.White worldwide!!
You write well Ms.White! Yes, another great read!
MISS WHITE said…
I like your dream! I think I'll make it my own! lol Thanx for reading, for your compliment, and for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

They Say Imitation is The Best Form of Flattery; I Say Eff That!

I've been grappling with my decision to talk about something that's been bothering me for about a week now.  After my internal debate was done, I concluded: This is MY blog and I can talk about anything I damn well please! So...I had an issue that I wanted to know if ya'll can help me with.  Usually comments are not that important to me because I can see people are reading according my stats, and that's what really matters to me (btw, thanks for reading).  On this particular post, I plead with you to weigh in, because I actually care what you all think AND I also want to know if I'M buggin! Read More...

The Kyla Chronicles: Showtime At The Edge

I'd just gotten off from work and couldn't wait to get home. I was pushing my X5 down the FDR like it was Kit from Nightrider, Beyonce's "Party" blaring in the background. I had so much to do as Tristan was coming home from a two month tour with Jill Scott. I needed to get to BK. And quick. I had a lot to do and was pressed for time .I wanted everything to be just right for our reunion. I missed him so much it hurt and seeing him was the only remedy. I'd constantly wondered if he'd missed me as much, since we hadn't spoken as frequently as we normally had when he was on tour. Tristan was a backup singer and he toured with different artists. This month, it was Jill Scott. Next month was anyone's guess. He was good - actually he was great - and therefore steadily booking gigs. He had dreams of becoming the headliner, but he figured the background was at least a step in the right direction. At first it was intriguing and kinda sexy to be dating ...

One Monkey Don't Stop No Show...In This Case: One Job.

My oh my, has it been an interesting few days. Many changes have been brewing for some time now but I got a push like no other last Friday. I went in to work. Just like I would on any other routine Friday. Happy for the weekend and just willing myself to get through the last day of a tedious week. About noon, my boss calls me into his office. Prompts me to shut the door. I comply. He motions for me to have a seat. Again, I comply. He then says: "Onedia, I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to let you go." Read More...